Who we are
DWP commercial activity is conducted in:
- The Commercial Directorate
- Performance Management Division (PMD)
The Commercial Directorate
The Commercial Directorate is part of DWP Group Finance and is led by David Smith, DWP Commercial Director, who reports to the Finance Director General for DWP.
The Commercial Directorate has three main divisions:
- Procurement , led by Anthony Kilbride
- Strategy led by Philip Orumwense and
- Commercial Management, led by Paul Keen
Provision Sourcing Directorate, which is not part of the Commercial Directorate, provides commercial support and advice for the Welfare to Work Category, covering the Work Programme.
Where we are
Commercial staff are currently located across twelve ‘hub’ locations within the following main sites:
- Caxton House and the Adelphi , London
- Lawnswood and Quarry House, Leeds
- Mayfield Court, Sheffield
- Birchwood Park, Norcross, Ontario House and Peel Park in the North West
- Benton Park View, Broadacre House and Washington in the North East
Our Contract Spend
In 2010/11 the department spent about £4.6 billion with external suppliers. These include providers from the
- private sector, and
- public, voluntary and community sectors.
The Commercial Directorate directly manages major contracts for the delivery of services to DWP with a total annual value of about £1.4 billion (30 per cent of the total DWP spend). The largest contracts cover the national provision of:
- estates services,
- medical services, and
- encashment and banking services.
Other major contracts managed elsewhere within the Department include:
- Work Programme contracts managed by Provision Management Division, and
- IS/IT contracts managed by CIT
These have a total annual value of a further £3.2 billion.