Medical Services Doctors
The doctors employed by Medical Services are particularly skilled and knowledgeable in the field of medical disability analysis. Most carry out regular examinations for benefit including the Personal Capability Assessment, Severe Disablement Allowance, Industrial Injury Disablement Benefit and DLA/AA. They also train contracted doctors to carry out the above types of examination and monitor the reports of these doctors, providing further training if needed.
Advice is given to Decision Makers on request in all the benefit strands.
Medical Service doctors also liase with general practitioners, hospital doctors and other external bodies with regard to individual claims or other benefit matters.
Their experience in all strands of the medical benefits enhances their expertise in interpreting the effects of functional impairment across a wide range of disability.
Medical Services doctors can advise Decision Makers in a number of ways:
- They can identify who is likely to be the best person to approach for a medical report, whether a doctor or other healthcare professional and provide advice on the basis of the reply.
- They can explain and interpret medical terminology in all types of medical reports. This can include the nature of diagnoses, the use of medication, the meaning of clinical examination findings and the likely disabling effects of any given condition.
- They will be able to interpret clinical information, analyse it and describe the extent of care or mobility restrictions likely to arise from a specific medical or disabling condition.
- They can identify inconsistencies or contradictions in the evidence and advise if further evidence is likely to be useful.
- They can give advice regarding response to treatment and prognosis.