Updated 11 September 2013
The Debt Management organisation is part of the Department for Work and Pensions.
Our job is to recover social security benefit that has been overpaid because of a mistake or fraud. We also recover outstanding Social Fund loans and Housing Benefit overpayments that need to be repaid.
What we do
Recovery From Estates
The Recovery From Estates team recover overpaid benefits from the estates of deceased customers living in England, Scotland and Wales. We also recover arrears of Child Maintenance, from the estates of deceased non-resident parents, on behalf of Child Maintenance Enforcement Commission (CMEC).
Eligible Loan Deduction Scheme
The Eligible Loan Deduction Scheme is an initiative sponsored by HM Treasury to expand consumer access to responsible low cost lenders in the third and private sector. Approved lenders can apply to have deductions taken from benefits when a loan recipient defaults on their loan repayment and all reasonable steps have been taken to pursue recovery.
We also provide a range of additional services, including:
- recovering Housing Benefit overpayments on behalf of local authority partners where the customer is receiving benefit;
- collecting maintenance payments which fall outside the jurisdiction of the Child Maintenance and Enforcement Commission (CMEC);
- providing financial management and accounting services for debt across DWP; and
- piloting the recovery of Tax Credit overpayments and Self Assessment debt on behalf of Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs.
Carrying out our services
We deliver the majority of our services by telephone. This provides our customers with greater flexibility and convenience in how they contact us. Specialising in the management and recovery of debt, our contact centres have an ongoing commitment to improve the quality of service we offer to customers.
Our Contact Centre Customer Service Standards apply to this area of work.
Client Referral Centres
The Client Referral Centres are responsible for registering and calculating overpayment referrals, and determining whether the overpayment is recoverable on such debts. They will engage with:
- DWP client groups such as Jobcentre Plus and the Pension and Disability and Carers Service, and
- external business partners such as local authorities.
Debt collection using private sector organisations
Debt Management also use, where appropriate, recovery services provided by the private sector.
The approved private sector organisations are:
- CCS Collect
- drydensfairfax solicitors
- Credit Solutions Ltd
- akinika (formerly iQor)
- dlc (Direct Legal & Collections)
Our work is carried out in Contact Centres, Client Referral Centres and Specialist Units in England, Wales and Scotland.
Please see 'Contact Debt Management' for the addresses and phone numbers of our Contact Centres.
Worried about your finances?
If you are worried about your finances or if you need information about dealing with personal debt, visit:
- Managing debt (Directgov)