Department for Work and Pensions


Site navigation

Visiting another EEA country

If you visit an EEA country (or Switzerland) you are covered for any necessary medical treatment during your time there. This includes treatment for care you may have been receiving for chronic conditions in the UK but it does not cover the cost of care if the sole reason for your visit is to obtain treatment for an existing condition.

You will need to apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) if you normally live in the UK. You will be treated on the same terms as for a resident of the country you are visiting.

You can get an EHIC by applying to the NHS Business Services Authority (BSA),

either directly online, at (delivery within 7 days)
or - by telephone, on 0845 606 2030 (delivery within 10 days)
or - by post (delivery within 21 days).

To make a postal application, you must obtain an EHIC application pack from the Post Office and send the completed application to the BSA in the envelope provided. If you wish, you may include details of any family members who live with you. Separate EHICs will then be issued to you and any family members you apply for.

If you want to know more, go to the Department of Health website.