Department for Work and Pensions


Site navigation


Attendance Allowance, Carer’s Allowance, Disability Living Allowance

Following a decision of the European Court of Justice on 18 October 2007 if you get either Attendance Allowance, Carer's Allowance or the care part of Disability Living Allowance and you go to live in another EEA country, you may, in certain circumstances, continue to be paid this benefit. You will not normally continue to be paid the mobility part of Disability Living Allowance.

Going to visit another EEA country may also affect these benefits, depending on the length of your stay and your reason for going. If you are planning to go to another EEA country, either to live or to visit, you should contact the Department for Work and Pensions. For the most up to date information go to the Taking disability benefits to Europe section of the Directgov website.

Jersey and Guernsey

The agreement between the UK and Jersey and Guernsey covers entitlement to Attendance Allowance and Disability Living Allowance for people coming to the UK. Time you have spent in the Channel Islands can help you to qualify for either benefit while you are in the UK. If you go to live in one of the Channel Islands you will no longer be able to receive Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance. If you live in Guernsey, Alderney, Herm or Jethou time you have spent in the UK can help you to qualify for benefit under the Guernsey scheme. Jersey no longer has an Attendance Allowance.