EU Cohesion Policy 2014-2020: legislative proposals published
The European Commission published a package of proposals on the future of EU Cohesion Policy on 6 October 2011. This includes an overarching draft regulation setting out common rules governing the European Social Fund, European Regional Development Fund, Cohesion Fund, European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development and European Maritime and Fisheries Fund. It also includes draft regulations setting out specific priorities and rules for each fund including the European Social Fund.
The new proposals are designed to reinforce the strategic dimension of the policy – and to ensure that EU investment is targeted on Europe's long-term goals for growth and jobs ("Europe 2020").
The draft regulations are currently being examined by the European Parliament and the Council of the European Union, which will jointly adopt the final version of the regulations. When the regulations have been adopted, Member States will need to develop and submit Partnership Contracts and Operational Programmes for 2014-2020. The timetable for this will depend on when agreement is reached on the EU budget for 2014-2020, as well as the regulations.
- EU Cohesion Policy 2014-2020: legislative proposals (Europen Commission website)
House of Lords seminar on future of ESF
In December 2011 the House of Lords European Union Policies and Consumer Protection Sub-Committee hosted a high level seminar on ESF 2014-2020.
Attended by a range of key stakeholders, the seminar included input from the European Commission and Department for Work and Pensions on the draft legislative proposals published by the Commission in October 2011.
The seminar provided an early opportunity for discussion and debate, which drew on past experience of ESF implementation as well as the proposals themselves.
- Summary of the seminar, presentations and other related resources (UK Parliament website)
EU Cohesion Policy 2014-2020: films
The European Commission has produced two films about 2014-2020 EU Cohesion Policy:
- a three minute film explains the draft legislative package that will frame cohesion policy for 2014-2020. It shows how the new proposals are designed to reinforce the strategic dimension of the policy and to ensure that EU investment is targeted on Europe's long-term goals for growth and jobs ("Europe 2020").
- EU Cohesion Policy 2014-2020: legislative proposals – film (European Commission website)
- a six minute film provides an overall view of the European Union’s cohesion policy, real results it has helped achieve in the field and its future prospects.
- Fifth Report on Economic, Social and Territorial Cohesion – film (European Commission website)